Monday 20 August 2012

A wonderful outing


Sorry about that poor blog. I wrote it on Friday night and then couldn’t be bothered adding anything else to it tonight! So here’s to a more interesting one.
On Sunday we did an all day trip (8.30-5 but it felt so much shorter). Alex looked after Tammy from Fuang Fah, Kara had Fai from Rachawadee girls and I was able to take out Solasak who I met two years ago at Fuang Fah but who has now moved to Nontapoom orphanage across the road from Fuang Fah. I was really happy about the prospect of taking him out because I wasn’t really sure I’d be allowed because I don’t work in that orphanage and I have only briefly seen him this year and I developed a bit of a soft spot for him two years ago!!
Kara, Fai, Alex and Tammy heading into church.


So thankfully all went smoothly with picking them up and after a bit of a wait for a taxi we arrived at church. We go to a church in an ex-pat community, so there are a lot of Americans, so it must have been a bit odd for the children. Solasak (he told us he is 10) was really quiet in the taxi on the way there, but I remember he always was a bit shy to start with. But once we got to church and we were able to talk to each other properly he started laughing and talking with me. I took some sweets and a colouring book with me for him to do doing the service. He was so well behaved, the sweets kept him going. And he loved taking pictures of church on my camera. Quite a few of the pictures from yesterday are courtesy of Solasak. In the last song, he started joining in with the alleluia and did some clapping when others were clapping. I loved that time talking quietly with him, helping draw and colour in and having some hugs.
Taking pictures of himself in church

Making silly faces

Colouring in during the service

In church....look at that gorgeous smile!


Then after we had a snack of fruit and Solasak chatted to our friends James and Rach who used to do music therapy at Fuang Fah, and who Solasak remembered (during the singing, Solasak was taking pictures of James playing guitar!) Then we went for lunch at a Mexican place. Solasak ordered himself a massive plate of BBQ ribs and chips but didn’t quite manage it all. We had such a good time playing silly games and singing old MacDonald with silly things like Pepsi and pork and trying to make up sounds. He found it hilarious and his laugh is amazing so we were both laughing away.
Enjoying his lunch


Group photo...happy kids and happy volunteers
We came back to the house to put my pictures of the day so far on my lap top so that he could chose a couple of pictures to get printed. At Nontapoom he has a locker or something to keep some bits and pieces so I thought it would be nice if he had a memory of the day. Kara and Alex skyped their parents with their respective children too. Solasak was very content with playing on the lap top and he wanted to play on facebook! Not entirely sure how he knows about Facebook but there you go, it’s clearly famous! We headed down the road to get the pictures printed and went to Swensens for ice cream. He was so excited! But again, his eyes were bigger than his stomach and he ordered a massive ice cream which he didn’t eat all of. I’d promised him somtam (spicy papay salad) to take home with him. So we went and bought some and then headed to get a taxi.
Enjoying his massive ice cream!

On the lap top...he changed the desktop background back to a picture of me and him from two years ago ;)

It was so horrible taking him back. I know it’s probably the last time I’ll see him this year. On the taxi back he just stopped talking and held my hand and when we arrived back the security guard came over and took him so I didn’t get a proper bye, just a little kiss. He couldn’t say bye, he was so quiet. He went away holding tightly to his pictures and his somtam. If I could have I would have kept him. It was so horrible. It was such a lovely day. Not exhausting, just really lovely. We laughed so much and he said he had had a good day. I hope to maybe pop in and say bye to him at the end of the week or Monday next week. So it was a very very good day, one I would love to repeat!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment